Leslie A. Cadwell
Leslie Cadwell joined Gravel & Shea as Special Counsel in February 2011 to provide clients with highly specialized knowledge in the fields of telecommunications, public utility law and government affairs. She joined the firm after more than fifteen years of experience as an attorney advising leaders in both the public and private sectors.
Leslie’s most recent public sector assignment was Director for Telecommunications and Special Counsel for the Vermont Department of Public Service, where she collaborated on policy development and represented the public in proceedings before the Vermont Public Service Board, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, Federal Communications Commission, and state and federal court. She also worked for the Vermont Supreme Court from 1994-1995 and 2001-2005, first as a law clerk to Hon. Ernest W. Gibson III and later for the full Court as a staff attorney. She has considerable experience in utility, energy, and telecommunications law and regulation, including permitting essential infrastructure projects.
Leslie was Vice President, Chief Counsel and Secretary for the Vermont Electric Power Company, Inc. from 2007 to 2010, overseeing a wide range of legal matters during a period of unprecedented capital expansion for the company. Her legislative experience includes drafting legislation, advising private clients and public officials on pending legislation, and testifying on matters affecting public utility and communications companies serving Vermont.
At Gravel & Shea, Leslie focuses her practice on communications, energy, and public utility law; administrative and civil litigation; and government affairs.
- Vermont Law School, J.D. 1994, magna cum laude, Member and Note Editor, Vermont Law Review, Dean’s Fellow and Vermont Law School Scholar
- Bowdoin College, A.B. 1984, Romance Languages
- Woodbury College, Basic Mediation Training, 2000
Memberships & Affiliations
- Admitted to practice in Vermont State and Federal Courts since 1995
- Member, Chittenden County, Vermont Bar Association
- Member, Vermont Law School Center for Legal Services Advisory Committee
- President, Rutland Dismas House Board of Directors (2011)
- Vermont (1995)
- U.S. District Court, District of Vermont (1995)