David J. Thelander
David Thelander joined the firm in 2017. With over 30 years’ experience, David returns to Vermont (from practicing law in Vermont in the late 1980’s) with an extensive background in legal, risk management and compliance issues related to investment advisers and securities. His experience includes attorney adviser and senior counsel roles, respectively, with the Corporation Finance and Enforcement Divisions of the Securities and Exchange Commission in Washington, D.C., a prominent law firm and major global investment management and professional services firms in both the U.S. and abroad. In addition, he has also been integrally involved in the legal developments related to the rapidly expanding use of blockchain technology in financial, real estate and other business ventures both in Vermont and globally.
David also currently serves as Chief Operating Officer and Chief Legal Officer of the U.S. affiliate of Par Equity LLP, a UK‑based angel syndicate and venture capital fund.
- Vermont Law School, J.D. 1987, cum laude
- State University of New York, Oswego, B.A. 1977
Memberships & Affiliations
- Member, Vermont and American Bar Associations
- Fellow, Vermont Law School Center for Legal Innovation
- U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission Alumni Association
- Trustee, Vermont Law School (2000-2008) (including Chair, Investment Committee)
- Alderman, City of Burlington, Vermont (1987-1989) (including Chair, Waterfront Committee)
- Trustee, Mill Valley Library Foundation, Mill Valley, California (2014-2017)
- Vermont Supreme Court (1987)
- U.S. District Court, District of Vermont (1987)