Gravel & Shea Attorneys Jerome F. O’Neill and Amanda Hemley Paulino obtained a $35,000,000 verdict in Chittenden Superior Court, Civil Division in April 2014 for a young woman whose adult family member sexually abused her for years as a child. After three days of evidence presentation and a short deliberation, the jury in the case of Doe v. Isaacson, entered a verdict of $20,000,000 to compensate her for the sexual abuse and $15,000,000 in punitive damages.
Isaacson initially appealed the verdict but later withdrew his appeal
The verdict was #16 nationally of the top 100 verdicts of 2014 and #1 in Vermont.
Gravel & Shea has been top listed in Burlington, Vermont by the 2015 Best Lawyers in America®. In addition, 15 of the firm’s attorneys were specifically selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers®, which is based on an exhaustive and rigorous peer-review survey comprised of more than 5.5 million confidential evaluations by top attorneys in the country. For more than three decades, Best Lawyers® lists have earned the respect of the profession, the media, and the public, as the most reliable, unbiased source of legal referrals anywhere. Because no fee or purchase is required, being listed in Best Lawyers® is considered a significant honor.
Gravel & Shea attorneys who were specifically recognized by Best Lawyers® are:
- Heather Briggs – Employment Law – Management; Labor Law – Management; Litigation – Labor & Employment
- Peter S. Erly – Corporate Law; Mergers and Acquisitions Law; Securities / Capital Markets Law; Securities Regulation
- Timothy M. Eustace – Litigation – Real Estate
- Michelle N. Farkas – Real Estate Law
- Heather Rider Hammond – Employment Law – Management
- Robert B. Hemley – Bet-the-Company Litigation; Commercial Litigation; Criminal Defense: Non-White-Collar; Criminal Defense: White-Collar; First Amendment Law; Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions – Plaintiffs; Medical Malpractice Law – Plaintiffs; Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs
- Andrew D. Manitsky – Commercial Litigation; Copyright Law; Litigation – Intellectual Property; Trade Secrets Law; Trademark Law
- William A. Mason – Corporate Governance Law; Corporate Law
- Stewart H. McConaughy – Corporate Law; Mergers and Acquisitions Law
- Margaret L. Montgomery – Corporate Law; Mergers and Acquisitions Law
- Jerome F. O’Neill – Commercial Litigation; Criminal Defense: Non-White-Collar; Criminal Defense: White-Collar; Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs
- Robert F. O’Neill – Commercial Litigation; Criminal Defense: Non-White-Collar; Criminal Defense: White-Collar
- William G. Post , Jr. – Trusts and Estates
- Robert H. Rushford – Real Estate Law
- Norman Williams – Appellate Practice; Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions – Plaintiffs