Catherine A. Burke
Catherine is an associate in the firm’s corporate department. Catherine advises and assists clients with business formations, corporate governance matters, mergers and acquisitions, sales tax audits and other tax issues. She also specializes in the formation, regulation and governance of legal entities for decentralized autonomous organizations (DAOs) and other blockchain companies, including blockchain-based limited liability companies (BBLLCs).
Before joining Gravel & Shea in 2018, Catherine provided tax consulting services through a large accounting firm, including assisting clients during IRS audits. She also litigated on behalf of indigent civil clients and prosecuted misdemeanors. Catherine gained business development and marketing experience while working in non-legal positions for solar and mortgage trade associations and for a Vermont business improvement district.
- George Mason University School of Law, J.D. 2014, magna cum laude
- Member, George Mason Law Review
- President, Student Bar Association
- University of Vermont, B.A. (Geography) 2007, magna cum laude
- American University, Washington Semester, Public Policy Seminar, 2006
Memberships & Affiliations
- Member, Vermont and American Bar Associations
- Former Commissioner on the Arlington (Virginia) County Tenant-Landlord Commission, (January 2016 – September 2017)
- Co-Author, Blockchain Basics for Estate Planning, Bloomberg Tax Management Estates, Gifts and Trusts Journal™ (March 2020) (Please click here to read article.)
- Virginia (2014)
- Vermont (2019)